Inq28: A report.


Well, by the Emperor, what a weekend that was. I won't bore you with the other things that made it so exceptional, but Saturday saw me head up to Nottingham to check out Commissar Molotov's Inq28 tournament. I'd decided a couple of weeks ago to head up having followed the endeavours of a couple of bloggers as they built their war-bands for the tournament - I also rationalised that it'd be a good opportunity to meet a few people I'd been chatting to online, and as I'd never made the pilgrimage to WHW before, thought the time seemed apt.




I managed to drag my sorry arse out of bed at 5.30 to make the trek up to the midlands. As I was only going to spectate and say hello, upon arrival in Nottingham I decided to have an amble along the canal and do a bit of exploring before dashing straight there. Having been distracted by some ducks and a junk shop, I arrived at WHW just as the groups were coming to the end of their first game and quickly introduced myself to Neil(101), Peter (PDH) and Mol before heading into Bugman's Bar (yeah!) for a pint of XXXXXX and some lunch. A quick note: I'd feared that XXXXXX would be some horrible lager, but it was a bloody lovely - tasted a bit like a sharper version of Timothy Taylor's Landlord. Anyway, everyone shovelled some food into themselves pretty sharpish as they were due back to the tables whilst I slowly tucked into my lunch whilst chatting to Andy Hoare (!). Peter asked if I was nervous to be using Jakob Nielsen's miniatures: having no idea what he was talking about, I just carried on munching on my chips whilst everyone else scuttled off.



A short while later I was summoned back to the tables by Neil, as (unbeknownst to me) Mol had invited me to take part in the day's games. Having not played =][= in bloody ages I was pretty nervous, and then realised what Peter was talking about: I was being given the honour of bringing Jakob's Inquisitor Velk to life within their campaign. Erk! Fortunately, I had a bit of hand in naming Velk, so I felt sufficiently paternal enough to throw myself into the character whilst simultaneously i) trying to remember any of the rules of the game; ii) trying to remember what Jakob had said about Velk on his blog, iii) skim reading what Mol had written on Velk's character sheet, and iv) introducing myself to my opponent and GM. I hadn't been aware until the day before that the whole campaign was being orchestrated through the AmmoBunker forum and was part of a much larger narrative - I wanted to try and do justice to the hard work undertaken by everyone involved and hit the ground running (unlike Velk who spent all of his first game sitting in the cab of an Imperial truck waiting in ambush). My hat goes off to both my GM and opponent who couldn't have been more welcoming, in spite of not having a clue who I was or what I was doing there. Indeed, everyone that attended was so incredibly welcoming and friendly: it was really touching.



I won't go into the games too much as there are much better reports being written by people privy to far more information than I over on the Ammobunker aftermath forum (here: http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/topic/7575005/1/). As a quick run down, though, I took part in three games: the first against Mark/Keravin (as Inquisitor Tybalt) with Kaled patiently GMing. A real battle of wits and patience as the two Inquisitors lay in wait for what felt like an eternity until a fool Priest blew Velk's cover by charging into combat, eviscerator whirring, blowing everyone's cover, leading Velk to try and make a desperate bid for escape before anyone could make out who he was, nursing his fire-scorched arms.



The second game, against Andy Hoare (with Darren GMing) saw Velk come up against his fellow Antiquarti: Inquisitrix Stheno. A bloody bout of boltgun negotiations saw Velk's first headshot of the day across the Imperial Graveyard, his two bodyguards out-manoevring Stheno's, until a series of incredible dice-rolls by Mr.Hoare saw the tides turn and Velk disappear into the night. 




Following the Conclave elections and the assassination of Inquisitor Madine - a cornered Velk was forced to flee into the underhive: entirely unwarranted and undeserved suspicions of involvement in the assassination or, worse, heresy, beginning to tarnish his good name. Velk was pincered between the twin warbands of Neil's Inquisitor Vendrake and Jon's Inquisitor Helsmark (with Mol GMing). Fleeing alone, Velk managed to survive being toasted by the Famorian TechPriest, being blasted by Helsmark's bound psyker and felling his second Inquisitor with another remarkable headshot on Inquisitor Helsmark himself. This left the maligned and misunderstood Velk free to flee into the underhive to lick his wounds, regather his forces and deliver his report protesting his innocence to the Conclave far from bolter range.


The games were an excellent mix of roleplaying and table-top action, as all good =][= are supposed to be - and I was really impressed by the round in which all Inquisitors were expected to canvas support for their chosen nomination. 


The rest of the day I did a bit of shopping, gasped my way around the miniature exhibition hall and chewed the cud with Neil, Peter and Jon in Bugman's. I'll post some more photos of the other warbands and exhibitions tomorrow in a further write-up, but as for the Inq28 meet-up I think it wouldn't be an exaggeration to state that it was one of the friendliest and most well-organised events I've ever attended. A sterling job all round, and a big thank you to everyone for letting me come, allowing me to play and making me feel completely relaxed right from the off. 

11 comments:

  1. It was great meeting you. Wish I'd got to play against Velk...he looks like a heretic so he must be a heretic!

    Does this bode well for you updating your blog with your very own Inquisitor Warband?

    PDH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winner, look forward to seeing them!

    Love the shot of Velk's second game with all the upturned bases of Andy's models in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey mate , great read , you really did capture the spirit of Velk , dastardly and cowardly yet rock hard!!

    Hey Rise , hope your planning some revenge on velk .

    Good luck with the warband mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that does indeed read like an awesome day. I read up on the batreps (For want of a better term) on the ammobunker forum and all games sounded like super fun!.

    Good stuff mate - I 2nd you getting your arse in gear and completing your own INQ28 warband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Dai! I've gone right back to the drawing board with it all having been so inspired this weekend.

      Delete
  5. A fantastic post. I regret not finding your blog until earlier! I was very glad to have you at the day, and whilst I've never talked to you much in the way that Neil and others have, I would've liked to talk to you more!

    Hope this bodes well for the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mol - and yes, thanks for having me. We'll talk at length as I have some questions about pretty much everything, but how to tackle the narrative of Velk in particular.

      Delete
  6. Cheers for the write-up.
    Looking forward to see in what direction Velk will go... Heretic or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes: I need to speak to you about that, Jakob, given that I was only taking custody of him (btw, never have I held a miniature so gingerly!). I'll email you to discuss some ideas.

      Delete
    2. Hey, I would enjoy being part of that!

      Delete