Yggdrassiliumme Pilgrimage - part 1.

Members of the Cult of the Pure Form defending the Yggdrassiliumme.

As I mentioned some time ago now, I've been working on a small project for an event which took place last weekend. I'd been invited back to Nottingham to partake in a day of gaming, chatting and loafing around Warhammer World with the superb trio of Peter Hudson (PDH), Neil Reed (Neil101), Jon Flindall and none other than John Blanche himself. This is the kind of invitation you don't get too often, so you would think that I'd have spent the last few months slaving away to produce the finest miniatures I'd ever painted, and whilst this was my intent, being a bit of a last-minute-Larry sometimes, I left everything to the final few days and then almost gave myself a nervous breakdown in cobbling some miniatures together in a blind panic of excitement and exhaustion. Actually, it wasn't completely down to me being disorganised - I've been having some strife at work which had entirely stifled any creativity that I was desperately trying to induce. That said, I did manage to gather a gang together and drag myself to Nottingham and, to be honest, I couldn't have asked for a better day.

Whilst I'm not especially happy with the miniatures I'd cobbled together and taken along (largely half finished, to my shame), I am happy with the concept behind them and I will be returning to them and rebuilding some of them from scratch - a note to self: if something's worth doing, it's worth doing well. I'll outline more about the gang and concept at a later date as I didn't particularly want this update to be (directly) about me; indeed, looking back through my photographs, and owing to the million and one things I have to do before the end of the week,  I'm going to split the report from the day into several posts.

The first of these posts is really a tribute to Neil - I'm sure most readers of my erratic blog will be familiar with Neil's own blog (http://opusmaius.blogspot.co.uk/) or his threads over on the Dakka forums, so he needs little introduction. Neil and I only met for the first time earlier this year at the Inqvitational event in June, although we'd spoken fairly regularly online: we both share similar thoughts on the aesthetics of the 41st millennium (which we've imbibed through a Blanche filter since childhood) - oh, and a shared love of Andrei Tarkovsky. On Saturday I had the honour of playing a game on the finest piece of terrain that I'd ever seen before which Neil had spent the last three months or so (and Emperor knows how much money) on building. It was an absolute dream. This was the first time that I'd ever really witnessed that grimy aesthetic properly, meticulously and skilfully realised in a gaming table. To even call it a gaming table is almost to do it a disservice - it was like a living diorama: rank, filthy, entropic, gothic, it was just beautiful. The terrain effectively acted like a giant fly-trap all day, too, with scores of wide-eyed gamers clamouring to take a peek inside the nooks and crannies of a vast 3-D painting, and to see the real dark, gothic horror of the Imperium laid out before them. It really was something: my photos don't do it justice.

Anyway, here they are: more on the rest of the day (including some excellent new Blanchitsu) later this week:







 Nice Stalker reference, there, Neil.



 John Flindall's Steersman Priest punting through the slump 

 Dreaded servo-skull drone

The Pandoricalle itself emerging from it's hovel

The roots of the Yggdrasilium spreading through the craft


There in all it's glory (flanked by some of the GW Inquisitor terrain) - it was vast

13 comments:

  1. This is one of the greatest tables I've ever seen! I want to play on it - NOW! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy moley. That's an impressive games board.

    Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is next level stuff. Neil smashed this one out of the park, far out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so atmospheric, it's practically oozing off the board. Amazing stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good gawds that is an amazing setup. I am so blown away at all the detail - ONLY 3 months???? I would've taken a couple of years to get even 1/2 way to the level of lovely that Neil put into that table....

    This was more than worth waiting for whilst you were silent. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Told you it'd be worth it! Wait until you see the rest, though!

      Delete
  6. It doesn't matter how many times I look at the board I am still blown away by it.

    Tim weren't we lucky buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely brilliant!! Need to spend more time with this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing stuff ! Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Incredible!

    Any WIP shots or tips on how it looked so filthy - especially the pipes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a really great article. Unfortunately, I started with part 2, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment at all!

    Getting to play with a GW legend. That must have been an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete