Lex Imperialis.

Well, as expected, life here at Isstvan Towers has been very busy in the run-up to Christmas, my birthday and New Year's eve next week (fate has cursed me as an ascetic and allows me but one week of celebration per year...). Before that week arrives, though, I have a lot to plough through and I've been working flat out, so apologies that things have been so quiet on the blog. Time for a quick update this evening, though, as I thought I'd share some WIP images.

First up is the fourth member of my Inq28 warband, the Magistrate Septimus Wierix. I've been drawn to the machinations of Imperial law since reading through this year's Dark Heresy supplement, The Book of Judgement, and had wanted to include a Magistrate in my warband, seeing as they fit the more cerebral, less combative angle that I was initially intending to pursue with this group. The role of an Inquisitorial-inducted Magistrate is no small one, having to be well versed in the Lex Imperialis, the Lex Inquis and the Sectorial Lex of their previous operational home, as well as having to face the day-to-day perils of being an Inquisitorial agent.

Here are some quick snaps of him before I apply undercoat:






A relatively simple conversion (which I tend to veer towards): I'd based him on the Empire Witch Hunter, given him a quick head swap using the top half of the Empire Celestial wizard head (the large Roman nose pointing over the grille collar works quite nicely, I thought). I gave him a small collection of the many thousands of tomes that make up the Lex Imperialis and some of the Lex Inquis to lug around. The thing that really makes the miniature for me, though, is his horse-hair wig. I'm absolutely useless with green-stuff so often steer away from 'difficult' (to me) conversions for exactly that reason. However, with this miniature, the wig was absolutely necessary to pull the concept together and give him an immediate sense of narrative. Thankfully, Peter PDH kindly offered to sculpt the wig for me and spent a great deal of his spare time getting it just right - and I think he's done a fantastic job. This miniature would never have worked had he not had his wig and I would never have been able to sculpt this so I'm incredibly grateful to Peter for taking the time to do this for me. 

Speaking of simple conversions, I thought I'd also share this with you all. My flat-mate, Wace, has gained a little of the Inq28 bug and has started work on this Inquisitor. Just a simple head swap, but already an exceptional character being formed here - steely, resolute, grimly determined. Quite a formidable persona striding forward in his ancient armour. I think this is a sublime conversion, using a miniature I'd not seen utilised in the M41 as yet. Excellent, no?


19 comments:

  1. Both of these are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it's that stack of books on his back that make the Magistrate for me. Really nice touch. That fig is so full of super cool character.

    Flatmate's effort is a nice headswap. Are they planning on calming down the Vampyre elements at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the props, Fulgrim - it's been hard not to get inspired when you're cooking away in the room next door!

    Cheers, Dai - yes, the headswap is only the beginning. The axe head will be replaced with something more Imperial, those skull racks will most likely come off, and I shall have a stab at GSing his extremities to look less skeletony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Magistrate looks fantastic, by your combined efforts you have created an incredibly characterful miniature.

    I just got a copy of the Sgt Telion miniature to convert into an Adeptus Arbites Judge.

    Seems the legal offices of the Imperium are getting their turn in the spotlight.

    Also, your flatmates miniature looks like it's shaping up to be an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Good choice on Telion. I love that miniature: so full of character.

      Delete
  5. Evening.

    The stack of books are my favourite part too. Such a clever idea Tim. Fulgrim - But as you said the model wouldn't have looked right without the horse hair. It was a pain in the arse and I should have asked Izecolt for advice. But I'm pretty happy with the result and even glader you are happy. Now come on Timmy find some time for some painting of all things wyrd and wonderful.

    Wace - Nice start. I like how you are using something I don't think anyone has used before! I think a Sanguinary Guard Axe would probably be a good replacement. Make sure Fulgrim keeps us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a couple of days to myself; if the rain breaks I might try and get some paint on him.

      Delete
  6. The Magistrate needs a servoskull/servitor who reads his books, or something to carry his torch/glasses....Yes a gavel skull!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a bad idea - I've got a Solomon Lok toilet roll Servo skull which might work quite nicely.

      Delete
    2. It could easily be converted into a book holding skull. Give me a shout if you want a skull fromknocking up from my side of the woods.

      Delete
  7. Hey Tim , great to see the results of a collaboration with Peter. The model magistrate is a cool looking model, lots of gravitas with that mages head and those bound books. I see him painted with a traditional red magistrates robe to match that wig . the view from his tight side with those flowing robes are excellent.

    @ WACE Great choice for a 40k character , the ancient armour is beautiful , is that the head of a servitor ?

    he looks almost meditative as he lurches forward. do you have a background for him ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering about red; I was instead considering green... I wonder if that's because of Jon F's Helsmark, though... Red might make him look a bit too real world Judge.

      Delete
    2. Yeah i think your right about the red , i watched a program about westminster abbey last night and it had a Magistrates annual ceremony a few diffrent types of gown including purple and black and a green and white .

      http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/5/24/1337875797714/Judges-in-Westminster-Abb-008.jpg

      http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2011/2/3/1296725639695/High-court-judges-at-West-007.jpg

      Delete
    3. Hehehe :) There's something inherently comical about Judges. especially en masse.

      Delete
  8. Tim, the magistrate's great, and I can see him working really well in a warband (every inquisitor should have one). Must say Peter's done you a proper job with the wig too! I second his request for painted stuff, hopefully you'll get some time in the new year?

    WACE - great choice of base figure and head, living with Fulgrim must be a good influence! I'd be tempted to add a holstered pistol on his hip or even a backpack with a weapon on it, just to reinforce the 40k feeling, but I think the bat-winged skulls are perfect for the gothic splendour of the inquisition. Will he be getting a retinue?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way his nose just comes over his gorget

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers all. I might try and get some paint on him over Xmas if the rain holds off long enough for me to undercoat him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The skys look clear to me! Its not raining in your neck of the woods according to the BBC.

    Personally I'd avoid green due to Helsmarck. I think a shiny black leather coat would look the part. Red detailing/trim and a white wig.

    ReplyDelete