Arkke Wald: February 2013 - The Sirens.

Not often I post so much on the blog, but am already a month or so behind myself, so I thought I should keep posting whilst I have chance. Today, a few snaps of the miniatures I took along with me to Warhammer World - The Sirens - Daemonetii Sla'anesh. 

First a couple of quick snaps taken at my painting desk from the evening before. I hadn't originally envisaged taking daemons with me to our game so I assembled and painted these in a few evenings the week before. This is very unusual for me as ordinarily it takes me an eternity to paint anything. Still the pressure of deadlines is sometimes a friend, and these proved to be a pretty fruitful painting experiment.





I wanted the daemonettes to look truly otherworldly and ethereal - captivating, frightening, and unlike anything else that I would ordinarily paint, or would be on the table. I think it sort of worked. If I were to re-paint them, I'd take a little more time over them and start to layer up some more irridescent colours, but for two evenings work, I'm fairly pleased with them. 

Undercoated white, I basecoated each area in a mix of Vallejo off-white paint, with the tiniest drop of W&N ink or a Vallejo colour, and a drop of Vallejo glaze medium. The skin is painted in GW Dheneb Stone with a drop of Vallejo glaze. I wet blended some areas through into one another - especially the hair, which appears to change colour as it flows in the air, brushing the underside one colour and the top side in a contrasting tone. I then gave the entire miniature a thin wash of W&N white ink. I think this was a mistake in hindsight and they've become a little too subtle in their tones now. The metals, in order to make them more corporeal, are painted GW Tin Bitz with a W&N purple ink wash. 

Here are some further shots of them on the table at WHW. They couldn't look more different to the doddermen, which is quite nice:








19 comments:

  1. im quite inspired bi them tim and have that ghostly look locked away in mi ' im going to try that one day ' bit of brain - bet it all goes dark tho .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I think they need a bit of tweaking - they need grounding a little more. I realise that nearly all the photo are of the one miniature as I think she's worked a little better than the others, and that's due to the contrast of the icon she's carrying.

      If I were to re-paint them, I'd make their lower legs much more naturalistic, so that they appeared to be interacting a little more with their surroundings, or being made corporeal by touching the floor. Slowly emerging into reality. I think at the moment they're too subtle and a bit too glowing in their whiteness. The subtlety was lost by the final white wash, I think.

      Delete
  2. the work of seconds with inks .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are truly incorporeal , the effect of the metals and the tones work so well, they would look fantastic against the dark walls of ygg board.

    The night before shots show , a more corporeal form, is that before the white ink wash ?

    I wonder if its possible to cast miniatures in transparent plastic to achieve incorporeal effects.. probably would still need translucent paint though.

    the idea with the legs being grounded in reality is rather cool..maybe absorbing the colour of the surface its touches..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that inks (and maybe washes too) would do the trick as translucent paints.

      Delete
    2. Neil, the first photos are after the final wash, but just in darker lighting. The light at WHW washes things out a little. I think on the board of the Ygg, they'd definitely look better as they'd have more around them to contrast with.

      Delete
  4. Perfect example how strong idea and clear sence of direction mops the floor with prefectly blended, soulless and clinical output.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like them very much, because of their very ghostlike colour. Love their cold, spooky and very unearthly apperance. They're looking more demonic than any Demonettes before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're so stunningly subtle. I'm amazed by the sheen-like effect on the claws and bodices. It gives them an incredible depth, somewhere between translucent and luminous. These seem the kind of project to tinker with slowly and enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys. Very much appreciate these comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so different and otherwordly in comparison to their surroundings. A good thing indeed, makes them less normal or natural and more alien, daemonic, frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also voicing my support for the idea of them becoming gradually more translucent from the legs up.

    Really like how the icy colours complement the graceful nature of the miniatures, as if they're flowing and rippling on the winds of ether. The standard bearer is my favourite too, something about that contrast between black and iridescent pastels really makes it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always imagined from the sculpts that they appeared as if they were underwater, that kind of slow fluid grace, as they push through the air - a veritable fish out of water if you like. Sits uncomfortably with their lightning speed, but I like that, I imagine they almost have a slow, poised, dancing quality from a distance, but a fury of teeth and claw in close proximity.

      Delete
    2. This is probably the best description I've read of what Daemonettes should be like. I think the speed discrepancy actually makes a lot of sense, since they're creatures of the Warp and thus an intrusion into the Space-Time Continuum (so they bend it around themselves).

      Delete
    3. Thanks! You can come again.

      Delete
  10. You should totally perfume them. Keep them in a box full of lavender. That's right proper Slaanesh.

    Henchman 1: They smell amazing.
    Henchman 2: Brother! Hold your breath around these vile...
    Henchman 1: Their scent is... beautiful...
    Henchman 2: Brother no! Emperor's name!
    *slice!*
    Henchman 2: NO!

    Also, call one of them Slishy, after the daemonette from Ian Watson's Inquisition War ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :)

      I think I should do for next time - WHW can be a bit 'fragrant' sometimes!

      Delete