Arkke Retour - ii - Navigatorii & Administrum.

Hephestus, Mordekei and Lod await the arrival of their bretheren. 

For the second of today's updates, I thought I'd show some more of the gangs in a little more detail. First is my gang: known by a number of names throughout the Arkke, this trio are a coven of witches who reside in the long-dessicated Astropath-Anchorite hovels within the Amphitheatre of Silence, a sacred area just outside the pilgrimage route to the Yggdrassillium. I referred to them as my 'devolved Navigators' as they may (or may not) have once been, or descendant from, the Navigator clans who steered the tragic craft that forms the great bulk of the Arkke through the Empyrean. I've always deliberately left this ambiguous as I want the characters to retain some mystery, and to be more than a little sinister: they certainly believe themselves to be special - as displayed not just through their use of the warp manifest, but their arrogant disposition and favoured position within the Arkke as confidants of the Pandoricalle. To reflect their status, the trio bedeck themselves in the fragments of the ragged red carpets that line the pilgrim route to the Ygdrassilliumme tree and have fashioned golden Sun-King masks, heat-sealed to their own faces as a mark of respect to the Coven. Their ability to peer into the warp and read the eddies of time makes them valued advisors to the Pandoricalle, but (as with all navigators) ravages their bodies into horrendously mutated forms. Their golden visages alight in the gloom serve to mask and distract too much unwanted attention from their broken forms (or so they believe)... 

Photographing these things was a real bugger. I'd decided that rather than painting their masks, I had wanted to gild them as this will make them really shine on the table, distracting from their horrendous and broken forms. So, their masks, and Hephestus's breast-plate, were gilded in 24 carat gold and then re-shaded slightly to redefine their features so they would shine like tiny nuggets on the filthy and dark Arkke board. Whilst this works well to the naked eye (they really glow), cameras don't pick up this lustre too well as too much light is reflected from them and is poorly translated by the camera mechanism. I don't mind this too much as the effect that I had in mind was achieved, although I wish I could share this effect a little better here. Nevertheless, you'll have to take my word for it, on the table they looked like terrifying nuggets of impassive gold. 

From the top: Hephestus, Mordekei warming his broken body in front of the Pandoricalle lodge, and Lod. 
 

Secondly, I had wanted to show Neil's gang in a little more detail; I was knocked sideways by these miniatures - so many lovely conversions and ideas really well executed in a unifying paint-scheme. The miniatures sank into the gloom of the board perfectly, and I think they might be my favourite work of Neil's to date. Stunning things. He mentioned briefly that they were remnants of the Adeptus Administratum aboard the disparate craft, making pilgrimage toward the Pandoricalle - hopefully he'll put a bit more information in the comments later.








16 comments:

  1. Well Tim is being far too kind as usual .. the Mauldy Waarps , are as Tim said what is left of cabal of Adeptus Admistratum Officios.. I love the idea of Bureaucracy in science fiction and I think it , sits best within 40k science fiction better than any other. A quote from the 3rd gen 40k rule book has resonated with my view of 40k for a long while .. I forget it now but the idea of billions of humans dutifully performing repetitive tasks for wars and decrees long forgotten .. is just a wonderful idea,
    it encapsulates that grinding drudgery of life without rhyme or reason within the 41st millennium ..
    tasks that were once deemed important have become ritualised. The Ordinators who set the tasks deified.. compelled to continue for a reason long forgot

    Little brother , a talented terrain and model maker from the ammo bunker summed up the idea succinctly with this quote on the equally talented Exokan's Inq28 thread on the Ammobunker ..”They probably don't either, but 6000 years ago someone gave an order to start shredding some documents and then they forgot to rescind the order. And so the Guild of Paper Scroteners was founded. They believe it is their Holy duty to destroy all references to the 34th millennium, but only if it is on yellow paper. “

    Other creatives have captured this equally well , George Orwell in 1984 .. Terry Gilliam with Brazil, and Douglas Adams in the Vogon from The Hitch hikers Guide to the galaxy .. plus many more .. what I like about 40k bureaucracy is its unremitting gloom.. thee will never be a light bulb moment or a happy ending for these wretches ..

    on a Practical note the modelling took about three days .. with my lightbulb moment coming a few weeks earlier when working on another project , I realised the lotr goblins were perfect for rendering my preferred slim and realistic style of 40k models.. The cable maker I picked up last year finally got a proper outing ..

    I wanted a variation of types and height in this group unlike the illium .. I wondered what would happen to a gang of servitors if you left them to fend for them selves for hundreds posibly thousands of years .. would the attain autonomy ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leader .. an Administrtum Curator .. who can only perform his task if he receives a confirmation order from his data slate .. a form of neurosis now has he has attained a semblance of self. His personality split by indecision his third arm now performs the confirmation order with a will of its own in absence of a higher order..

      The cypher .. I wanted to create a model representing physical disability or limb loss .. the armless cypher is one of these .. he carries a code within his head that he can not understand nor communicate to its intended receiver .. a life permanently and unchangeably unfulfilled ..

      fat nurgling as peter kept calling him is the other limbless victim , inspired in part by Jacob Rune Nielson's floating nurgle lord model I wanted to use this model in a way that had not been represented yet .. he is sat upon a round metal plate .. and uses his now oversized good arm tope with a board or metal plate in this instance for moving along the ground like many images I have seen of third world paupers or early war veterans , these two models have limb loss for different reasons but both have adapted to survive and become enabled again.

      Delete
    2. The Hirelings

      The champion . Arrkeman .. Is tribute to Isaac Clarke of dead space fame .. I love dead space ! Jes Goodwins fantastic dark eldar wracks make brilliant ygg models .. my kids favour this model.

      The Brute , inspired by Jean Reno in Luc bessons first film the amazing and post apocalyptic le dernier combat , I wanted to capture the bulky torso of a strong man , so I used small orc uruk hai legs and a large renagade chest along with beastman arms I think. nuff said.

      The gasmask snook , a guys inspired equally by a gas mask wearing dude by ian miller in ratspike and by a gasmask wearing dude by john blanche in Inquis exterminatus .. a feral loon. To lkept on a chain.

      The sump styx spider hunter man .. a worker who uses his eight eyed helm to help spot the clans only food source ..

      The bone witch .. every ygg clan needs a seer .. to give them the tell.. in this case she guides the mauldy warps as an elder.
      Its her idea to visit the Dori-Kal for help settling a spider hunting right dispute with the Mauldy Waarps hated kin the Mangii Trouts and the Maungey Mares , up styx.

      And finally kudos to Ize colt of spikey rat fame for inspiring me to make my very own skullhopper..
      cheers matey !

      that’s about it , I am reading ridley walker at the moment so .. this has also influneced the creation of the these guys .. great book too kudos to both JB and Nathan Naskin for the props on this great book !

      Delete
  2. My favourites are the rotund nurglesque thing in the very last picture which is wonderfully grotesque and the dangerous looking guy with the spiked club in the third to last picture (really dynamic pose). They're all great though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nathan, I am really enjoying your contributions to this fine blog btw. I am constantly impressed with your wide ranging knowledge.

      they were painted in one day like the illum but i think they are more successfully than my previous attempt because of a muted colour scheme.

      Delete
  3. Superb, Neil - I really like the tension between Servitors slowly regaining agency, whilst those with lived agency slowly devolve through engaging in repetitive procedure.

    The leader's my absolute favourite, but I love the use of the Ratskin as Mr.Phiq pointed out earlier. The rat cape is a brilliant detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a real shame that the photos don't do your gold leaf justice it deserves .. it looked so stand out in the table mate..
      you would need a proper lighting tig to get the best out of that gold I think..

      love the part about the amphitheatre of silence .. i bet is decked out in gold too !

      Delete
    2. Funnily enough, you get a better sense of it some other photos where they're in the background - it seems to just occur when the lens tries to focus on the gold.

      I imagine the Amphitheatre is now knee-deep in water, with the naigatorii nesting in crow's nests, roosts and alcoves. The long promenade of astropath-anchorite stations, once gold, now mossy, tarnished and oxidised. A double mausoleum.

      Delete
  4. oh yes and I painted them grey , as I read somewhere that the Adminsitratum wear colour guided robes , black for the lowly serfs through grey up to white .. these guys are definitely middle of the road lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, this is only getting better with the thoughts that went into the modelling and painting and the warbands' backgrounds carefully laid out like this. Fantastic work, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These make me feel ill, but in a good way! Great concepts, deft execution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are brilliant, both of you. Creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Argggghhhhhh Amazing !!!!!! I want to live in GB too and play with you all the time in rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers guys. More to come, hopefully later today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gilded no less.... You've outdone yourself Fulgrim, thoroughly deserving to be in such company.
    Neil's own creations make me want to create. If I had a few fewer project already, I probably would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a bit of an inspiration overload, to be honest!

      Delete