Arkke Retour - iv.

To wrap up my reporting of last weekend's events, I thought I'd finish with an overview of the miniatures sent to us from participants round the world. Peter had been working in secret on this project for some time and had enlisted the help of some extraordinarily talented people; each miniature sent was conceived as an NPC within the Arkke setting, and also as a gift to JB. Alongside this, Peter had been working on several NPCs of his own. I have to say that I think Peter must have been working his socks off on this, but his hard work really paid off - witnessing each of these miniatures being revealed on the table as they were encountered by various gangs was quite something. He really did himself, and us, proud.

In no particular order, here are the motley crew: first up Peter's excellent Medicant Priest and attendant banner bearer based on a JB painting - the freehand work on these chaps is stunning, I hadn't even noticed the skull on the Priests's tabard until this morning as I was sifting through these photos.



Next up is Kari Hernesniemi's Stryderre - the face on this miniature is incredible: so much detail, and I love the little incidences like the amputated hand. There's a lot more on this miniature here over at Spiky Rat Pack.

This is Tears of Envy's pre-Heresy Emperor's Children marine. Seriously beautiful paintwork on this. ToE has a distinctive and measured painting technique all of her own, and it was interesting to see this style on a Marine (as well as on her stunning Dark Eldar raider she brought along, which I may post some images of later if she allows). I think one of the high-points of the day was seeing all these different painting styles next to one another. 

This is Legion, by Stefan KrautScientist of Eternal Hunt. I love the Mechanicum, and this Tech-Priest really capture their essence as well as being a particularly dynamic conversion, and fitting incredibly well with the board. There's a lot more information, including a very detailed blog with a step-by-step guide to how he was built  (it's quite some work) over on Stefan's blog.

Speaking of the Mechanicum - this beast is extraordinary. I completely failed to get a good shot of it as it rampaged across the board, though, unfortunately. A prefect example of Neil's bonkers levels of creativity: Metalspinax - servitor beast. 

Two lovely miniatures here by Jakob Nielsen: the Lone Fighter is a tiny little thing but absolutely seeps character. Poor little sod fancied himself as a gun for hire but ended up being thrown in a charnel house by JB's rampaging gangers. Below this is Hanin, the Sump Huntress, excellent use of parts (I think JRN's the only person I can forgive for chopping up Femme Militant miniatures) and again the level of detail on the face is staggering - I'm sure Scandinavians see in different degrees of sharpness than us lesser Europeans. Further images of Hanin can be found on JRN's blog.


Another of Peter's miniatures: the Creeping Darkness. I think this FW miniature is one of the best Nurgle miniatures available, but even with a few simple conversions, Peter's made him his own - super sinister with his black lantern... To contrast, and for further proof of what a talented painter Peter is, below the Creeping Darkness is Mother Head, almost it's complete opposite. Peter emailed us some photos of this model some time ago as he was painting her, and his skill at painting whites and pastel shades is superb. Tricky stuff painting such monochrome miniatures without them looking flat, but these are both perfect.



Also, before I continue with the photographs, the day wasn't just about miniatures: even those whose time was constrained wanted to take part. Stefan of First Point of Aries had specially composed a piece of music to be played a certain juncture within the game, effecting all on the table. This made my day, really - our very own music! Talk about immersive...  

Unfortunately not all the miniatures arrived on time, postal services being what they are. This meant that sadly we didn't get to see everything on the table - although it did mean that certain sections of the game had a certain old-school vibe to them ;)


Peter had also built a tonne of smaller creatures for the games - my favourites being the Gloomskull hatchlings (a perfect conversion of parts, which funnily enough I'd mentioned to Peter a few months before ;)

And finally, I feel like I shouldn't really have a favourite, but I can't help myself and I think this beast is an absolute triumph - the concept of a living coffin with a soul-bound psyker entombed within really captures my imagination. I think the concept and execution are pretty much perfect. I absolutely love this thing. There's a lot more information on it's design (including some rules that Peter had designed for it) over on Spiky Rat Pack.



So, there ends the more linear reports from last weekend; there may well be some more in-game narratives to come, but for now, I need to focus my attention elsewhere. Up next is Molotov's Inqvitational 2013, which I'm hoping to attend, although might not be able to unless I get some work in before the end of this month (words of advice for young people: get a trade, never freelance!) - following that, there's a very special anniversary this year, it being the 25 years since the release of Realms of Chaos - Slaves to Darkness, so expect some incursions into the Old World for that, and hot on the heels of those two, our Finnish friends are joining us in Nottingham for some good old fashioned Confrontation. Busy times.


18 comments:

  1. Nice overview of the models and persons behind them.
    You guys have created a lovely setting as well as a wonderful range of characters :)

    Thanks alot for taking the time to share your work, experiences and stories.
    Its a treat for us :)

    Cheers

    Janushedemann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Always mate :)

    Your work and efforts are an inspiration for alot of us :)

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Get a trade, never freelance!" No! Not when I'm just starting out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Don't do it Mr.Phiq! Save yourself!

      Delete
    2. Oh dear! Emperor guide me!

      Either I freelance or I'll get to those plasteel gates in the sky and His Holiness the Divine Emperor will look down through his Mk5 golden master-crafted power armoured shoulder pads and say, "You didn't try hard enough!"

      Delete
  4. Lovely models all round. I'd love to see more of the pandoricalle herself. In particular a run down of how she was made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's on my bookshelf, too. I din't think about her as I aways include her as being part of the Arkke, but I'll post something later on.

      Delete
    2. Cool. I'll look forward to seeing that.

      Delete
  5. It is hard to express how wonderful all of this is. The amount of creative genius throughout everything (models, terrain, writing, vision, etc.) is staggering. Everyone's collective madness fit together surprisingly well. I really like how the whole project captures the dark mystery that defines 40k. This mystery was what drew me to the hobby. In recent years, with the progession of GW, I feel it is being somewhat diluted. Everything is just spelled out, removing some of the charm. The work all of you have been doing rekindles all I love about this hobby. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be so fun to turn up to these events and see all these new creations to add to the story you've all made.

    All the imagination from super good artists in one place..... I'm not one for hanging around gaming tables for lengths of time if I'm not involved directly, but I really could imagine standing and observing this whole game with relish.

    You're a lucky man Fulgrim, would love to have a group to work with on a project like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm incredibly fortunate, really.

      Delete
  7. I may have expressed this elsewhere online, but you guys are putting out the most creative, inspiring, and truly amazing models. When I see this referred to as 'The Golden Age' it is no exaggeration. This is the best thing going in the entire Games Workshop hobby as far as I'm concerned. And you guys keep upping the ante with every new submission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's extremely kind. Thank you :)

      Delete
  8. granted i both citadel and games-workshop were clients but freelance work in the late 70's was a very mixed affair - big money at tymes like with the tolkein bestiary but at other tymes just nothing so i made a move which i was advised against by many but prooved to work out just fine - that was to join GW on a permanent basis - hurah regular wage, weekends and holidays became mine - all that national insurance and tax stuff taken care of and the job worked out fine as well .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it seems to have worked out ok, all in all ;)

      Delete